Cohabiting couples

If you're cohabiting, our family law solicitors will help you draw up a cohabitation agreement. We can also help if your relationship has ended.

What are my rights if I'm cohabiting?

Cohabiting – living together – is a popular option for many couples today. But the lack of legal rights can become an issue if the relationship ends, particularly if you have children or own a home together.

Lots of couples believe they have common law rights, giving them the same protection as people who are married or in a civil partnership. They are mistaken, which means it is a good idea to have alternative measures in place to prevent any potential disputes and distress.

A cohabitation agreement protects you both

If you're cohabiting, a cohabitation agreement makes things straightforward if you ever separate. It's a legal document, designed to protect you both.

Our family law solicitors can help you through the process. We can draw up a cohabitation agreement for you that clearly lays things out. It will give you legal protection and help to ensure there are no misunderstandings. For example, if you own property together a declaration of trust will clearly set out your ownership rights.

How we can help you

Your cohabitation agreement will be tailored to your individual needs. It will clearly state the financial arrangements between you and your partner, such as how your finances are to be used to manage the home, and what happens if the relationship ever breaks down. It's best to have a cohabitation agreement before you start living together but it can be set up at any stage. It is not about expecting the worst, it is about being clear with each other.

What to do if your relationship has ended

If you have been cohabiting and the relationship has come to an end, we can advise on the best way forward. For example, we'll help you divide assets you own together.

It's not always straightforward when a relationship breaks down, but we'll help you keep the practical aspects under control! Property laws in particular are complex and often turn on specific facts. If you have a property dispute but no declaration of trust, our expert and in-depth knowledge will help you to make the decisions that will resolve any sale or ownership issues. We also have a lot of experience in helping couples who have children. For a better understanding of all the issues involved you can read our guide on cohabitation laws.

We'll help you resolve the situation as quickly and efficiently as possible, no matter how complex it may feel.

What to do next

If you need advice about cohabiting, or a related issue, give us a call. A dedicated family law solicitor will outline your options and tell you how we can help.

Come in and see us for a FREE 30 minute face-to-face consultation about your options. Alternatively, if you want us to take a closer look at your situation, for a fixed fee of £150 + VAT, we can talk with you for up to 90 minutes.

Call our Family and Divorce Law solicitors on...

0800 013 1165

...for a free initial chat, at no obligation, or fill out our enquiry form and a solicitor will get in touch.

Enquiry form

Get in touch

Call us on 0800 013 1165 or complete our enquiry form
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Talk to an expert

Q: Where is your office?

Tees has six offices - Bishop's Stortford, Brentwood, Cambridge, Chelmsford, Royston and Saffron Walden. We're happy to see you at the office of your choice, and our solicitors or financial advisers can travel to an office that suits you. You can find directions on our website here.

Q: How can I contact Tees?

You can phone us on 0800 013 1165 or email If you need to speak with a particular person, you'll find their contact details on the 'Our People' section. 

Q: Is there parking at your office?

Yes, all of our offices have parking nearby. Our Bishop's Stortford, Brentwood, Cambridge, Chelmsford and Saffron Walden offices have onsite parking. Our Royston office has free parking a short walk away.

Related information