Dissolving civil partnerships

If you need to end a civil partnership, Tees can guide you through the process from start to finish and protect your interests.

What happens when civil partnerships break down?

If your civil partnership breaks down and you want to dissolve it, Tees can guide you through the legal process. Our family law solicitors will guide you from start to finish, and help you keep everything under control.

We'll explain your options, and answer any questions you have. Our experts will help you resolve any issues that come up during the dissolution of the partnership. For example, you may have to resolve business and property issues. Our family law team also includes specliasts in child law, so if there are children involved we are best placed to help.

Tees’ family law team has the experience and depth of knowledge you need. We also understand the complex and intense emotions that dissolution proceedings can stir up. We're here, at your side, to resolve the situation.

When can I end my civil partnership?

Legally, the only basis for dissolution is the ‘irretrievable breakdown of the partnership’, which can be established in one of four different ways:

  • Unreasonable behaviour 
  • Two years’ separation by consent
  • Five years’ separation
  • Two years’ desertion

The grounds for dissolving a partnership are very particular, so we take the take to really understand your situation. Every relationship is different, and our approach is designed around your individual needs.

Advice for petitioners and respondents

We can help if you are the petitioner (if you started the process of dissolving the partnership) or the respondent (if you have received dissolution papers).

We understand how critical it is to protect and promote the interests of any children, whether you are instigating the dissolution or responding to it. And if your case has an international aspect, our specialist family law lawyers have the know-how to guide you through the potential complexity of other countries’ legal systems.

Advice for the future

Our family law solicitors will ensure that every part of your dissolution is properly managed. That means we look at all the details, and how you choices will effect you in the future. We'll give you sensible, realistic advice designed to protect your interests. We'll help you find the quickest, most efficient resolution that suits you.

What to do next

If you need advice about dissolving your civil partnership, give us a call.  A dedicated family law solicitor will outline your options and tell you how we can help.

Come in and see us for a FREE 30 minute face-to-face consultation about your options. Alternatively, if you want us to take a closer look at your situation, for a fixed fee of £150 + VAT, we can talk with you for up to 90 minutes.

Call our Family and Divorce Law solicitors on...

0800 013 1165

...for a free initial chat, at no obligation, or fill out our enquiry form and a solicitor will get in touch.

Enquiry form

Get in touch

Call us on 0800 013 1165 or complete our enquiry form
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Talk to an expert

Q: Where is your office?

Tees has six offices - Bishop's Stortford, Brentwood, Cambridge, Chelmsford, Royston and Saffron Walden. We're happy to see you at the office of your choice, and our solicitors or financial advisers can travel to an office that suits you. You can find directions on our website here.

Q: How can I contact Tees?

You can phone us on 0800 013 1165 or email hello@teeslaw.com. If you need to speak with a particular person, you'll find their contact details on the 'Our People' section. 

Q: Is there parking at your office?

Yes, all of our offices have parking nearby. Our Bishop's Stortford, Brentwood, Cambridge, Chelmsford and Saffron Walden offices have onsite parking. Our Royston office has free parking a short walk away.

Related information