If you would prefer to separate, rather than get a divorce, we can help you make it a tidy and straightforward process.

Is a separation right for me?

Couples can sometimes decide to separate but not to have a divorce or dissolution for the time being. Likewise, unmarried couples can separate without formal legal proceedings.

In either situation it is important to keep the separation as clear and amicable as possible. Even so, it can be a good idea for a couple to make the arrangement more formal. You have two main routes for doing this:

  • Draw up a deed of separation in order to agree the terms of the separation. This is in effect a legal document that records your post-nuptial agreement  
  • Obtain a judicial separation. This is similar to a divorce but leaves you legally married

The purpose of these procedures is to simply record what you have agreed. This can help if you have children or need to resolve financial issues. Your lawyer will advise you on the legal strength of these agreements and any power that the court might have to override them.

What are my options if we're unamarried but cohabiting?

If you are a cohabiting couple, legal separation processes don’t apply. But that doesn’t necessarily mean the separation will be straightforward. For example, dividing your shared assets could create problems, so you should still get expert advice on your new situation.

How we can help you

The Tees family team can help you. We will look at the situation from your point to view, help you to weigh up the various options, and support you throughout the process to its conclusion.

Clear, practical support when you most need it

We will explore the reasons for your decision and ensure you understand all the implications of not dissolving the relationship legally. Once you are confident you are taking the right step, we will ensure you are protected and supported. For example, we will give you sensible and sensitive advice on how to make sure the separation meets the needs of your children.

With our expert knowledge and guidance, we will ensure your separation is managed in the best way possible. You can also be confident that we will highlight and prepare you for any potential risks associated with your decisions.

What to do next

If you'd like to know more, give us a call. A dedicated family law solicitor will outline your options and tell you how we can help.

Come in and see us for a FREE 30 minute face-to-face consultation about your options. Alternatively, if you want us to take a closer look at your situation, for a fixed fee of £150 + VAT, we can talk with you for up to 90 minutes.

Call our Family and Divorce Law solicitors on...

0800 013 1165

...for a free initial chat, at no obligation, or fill out our enquiry form and a solicitor will get in touch.

Enquiry form

Get in touch

Call us on 0800 013 1165 or complete our enquiry form
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Talk to an expert

Q: Where is your office?

Tees has six offices - Bishop's Stortford, Brentwood, Cambridge, Chelmsford, Royston and Saffron Walden. We're happy to see you at the office of your choice, and our solicitors or financial advisers can travel to an office that suits you. You can find directions on our website here.

Q: How can I contact Tees?

You can phone us on 0800 013 1165 or email If you need to speak with a particular person, you'll find their contact details on the 'Our People' section. 

Q: Is there parking at your office?

Yes, all of our offices have parking nearby. Our Bishop's Stortford, Brentwood, Cambridge, Chelmsford and Saffron Walden offices have onsite parking. Our Royston office has free parking a short walk away.

Related information