International divorce law

Our international divorce solicitors can help you get divorced if you, or your partner, live abroad or have assets overseas.

David Redfern, Bishop's Stortford

What is the difference between divorce and international divorce?

If you’re getting divorced in England and Wales, international divorce is when your divorce involves the laws from another country (or countries).  

What is international divorce?

If you are getting divorced in England, you might need the help of an international divorce law expert if:

  • You got married in another country (anywhere other than England)
  • You or your partner were born in another country
  • You or your partner live abroad, or have lived abroad in the past
  • You have international assets or property abroad
  • You or your partner are planning to move abroad. 

Sometimes, it’s better for one or both partners if the divorce takes place abroad. Every country has a different legal system and different divorce laws, and our divorce solicitors can help you use these to your advantage. We can also help you if your partner is pushing for the divorce to take place abroad.

How do you divorce someone living in another country?

Our divorce experts can help you divorce your partner if they live in another country.

If you are a UK citizen living abroad you may still be able to use the legal system of England and Wales to petition for divorce. However, selecting a jurisdiction for your divorce (also known as ‘forum shopping’) can affect the outcome of your divorce settlement and how long it takes to get divorced.

International divorce experts 

Our international divorce experts can advise you on a range of issues, including:

  • Enforcing foreign maintenance orders
  • Enforcing foreign financial orders
  • Moving abroad with your children after divorce
  • Stopping your former partner moving abroad with your children. 

International divorces often handle complex family and financial issues. Our team have the experience and understanding of international law to help you get the best result possible.

What to do next 

If you need advice about your divorce, call us and a dedicated family law solicitor will outline your options and tell you how we can help.

Come in and see us for a FREE 30 minute face-to-face consultation about your options. Alternatively, if you want us to take a closer look at your situation, for a fixed fee of £150 + VAT, we can talk with you for up to 90 minutes.

Call our Family and Divorce Law solicitors on 0800 0131165

For a free initial chat, at no obligation, or fill out our enquiry form and a solicitor will get in touch.

Enquiry form

We understand your situation and our expert team are here to help

Get in touch to speak with someone who can help you move forward.

Contact us
A father and daughter walking their Labrador in a green field

Tees coronavirus update

We’re here to help you. We’re running as normal with our employees all working from home.

Find out more Show less

Our top priority is to continue serving our clients and protecting our employees and clients alike.

We are open and working to help clients.

As a flexible and technologically-adept firm, we already had many home-working systems in place. We have now rolled this technology out to all our employees working for clients, so they can continue to work normally - and from home.

If you are a client, please be assured you can get in touch with Tees and we are still working on your case. To replace face-to-face meetings, we have the facilities to do video-conferencing, conference calls or just speak on the phone, as you need.

You can call us as normal on 0800 013 1165 or email us: You can also find contact details for all our advisers here. 

Designed and built by Onespacemedia