How can I help you?
I qualified as a solicitor in 2009 having trained for two years with Tees. I was made a Senior Associate in June 2016.
I have extensive experience in acting for and advising schools and parents in educational matters – both contentious and non-contentious, in reputational risk management (defamation) and have acted in commercial and civil disputes.
Being the only lawyer from a family of teachers, the highly specialist field of education law was a natural career progression for me and one, which I thoroughly enjoy and embrace. I have experience and have advised in respect of:
- School Admission and Exclusion Appeals and Independent Review Panel Hearings;
- Special Educational Needs, including needs assessments, Education Health and Care Plans, statutory provision and appeals to the First Tier Tribunal;
- Discrimination of all types – both in the First Tier Tribunal and the County Court;
- Data protection and compliance with Educational Record and Subject Access Requests;
- Increasing published admission numbers and public consultation;
- Changes to the status of a school, extending years of intake and property disputes, including successfully opposing an application to register a school’s playing field as a new town or village green under the Commons Act 2006;
- Allegations of professional misconduct by the Disclosure and Barring Service and National Council for Teaching and Leadership;
- Policy Drafting and consultation;
- Complaints to the Local Authority and OFSTED;
- Allegations of Education Negligence;
- Advising independent schools on recovery of fees and allegations of breach of contract
Delivering what you really need
The litigation team at Tees boasts a wealth of experience. By being part of that team, we are each able to draw on each other’s expertise to enable us to provide a full wrap-around service for our clients. I am able to see clients at any one of our six offices and we have video conferencing facilities making client access easier than ever before. The litigation team has forged close relationships with our colleagues in Tees’ other departments, to ensure we draw on their skills as and when required.
What else should you know?
I am a member of the Education Law Association and have sat on the governing body of a Lower School in Central Bedfordshire as a Governor and Associate Member since 2010. I also sit on the committee of the Royston Chamber of Commerce.
I have also participated in many fundraising activities with Tees, including “Walk the Thames” – a 26-mile walk through London to raise money for the Eastern Legal Support Trust.
Tees is here to help
We have many specialist lawyers who are based in:
Essex: Brentwood, Chelmsford, and Saffron Walden
Hertfordshire: Bishop's Stortford and Royston
But we can help you wherever you are in England and Wales.
Your child’s school lunch – can a school decide what your child eats?4 min read
UK logistics company Trans Orbis Forwarding Limited fights procurement fraud4 min read
SEND education provision during the pandemic6 min read
Dispute resolution & litigation
Managing bad debts8 min read