Ending a civil partnership

If you need to end a civil partnership, our family law solicitors can help you through the Court process, reach a financial settlement and work out financial maintenance.

Clare Pilsworth, Cambridge
Clare Pilsworth, divorce lawyer near me in Cambridge

Ending a civil partnership solicitors: Expert legal advice

One of our expert family law solicitors can advise you on every aspect of ending your civil partnership – from filling out your dissolution petition and completing paperwork, to reaching a financial settlement with your former partner.

Reasons to end a civil partnership 

Legally, the only basis for dissolution is the ‘irretrievable breakdown of the partnership’, which can be established in one of four different ways:

  • Unreasonable behaviour
  • Two years’ separation by consent
  • Five years’ separation
  • Two years’ desertion

How do I end my civil partnership?

The legal process of ending a civil partnership is called ‘dissolution’. If you want to dissolve your civil partnership, the first steps are to: 

  • Apply to the Court – the first step is filling out a dissolution petition
  • Give the Court a reason why you want to end the partnership
  • Talk to your partner about practical issues, such as dividing your finances.

We have more information for you in our guide to dissolving a civil partnership.

We’re here to help

If you want a lawyer to take a closer look at your situation, our family and divorce lawyers are based in:

  • Cambridgeshire: Cambridge
  • Essex: Brentwood, Chelmsford, and Saffron Walden
  • Hertfordshire: Bishop's Stortford and Royston 

But we can help you wherever you are in England and Wales.

Call our specialist solicitors on 0808 231 1320

Make an enquiry today

Please opt into our newsletter

From time to time, Tees would like to email you articles and updates about the range of legal and financial professional services we provide.

Would you like to sign up to receive these? You can opt out any time.

View our legal services privacy notice and our financial services privacy notice 

Ending a civil partnership FAQs

How much does it cost to end a civil partnership?

The court charges a fee of £593 for an application to dissolve (end) a civil partnership.  

  • If you then reach an agreement between you as to the financial arrangements upon dissolution (i.e. how you will divide your assets and any ongoing financial support between you), the charge for the court approving your agreement to make it binding is £53 
  • If you are unable to reach an agreement as to your financial arrangements, you can apply for the court to adjudicate. The court fee to start that process is £275

The above court fees are payable whether you use a solicitor or handle the dissolution yourself.  Legal fees cover the cost of things like the solicitor or mediator’s time advising you, preparing documents and representing you at Court (if required). 

Depending on your individual circumstances, you may have to pay additional Court fees or be entitled to fee exemptions.

Guide to civil partnerships

Designed and built by Onespacemedia