Divorce law

If you're getting divorced, our dedicated family law solicitors are here with practical strategies based on years of experience. We'll help you find a solution, so you can see a way through this situation, to a better future.

Helen Midgley, Bishop's Stortford

Divorce law

We understand how emotional ending a marriage can be, and we’re here to put you in control of the process. Take a look at our guide to divorce in the UK which explains the process and divorce timeline.

How to start the divorce process

A solicitor can help you start the process of getting divorced, helping you get the best result and keeping the process as straightforward as possible. A solicitor can help you issue, or respond to, divorce papers. We can also help you:

  • Fill out divorce papers or respond to divorce papers
  • Reach a financial settlement after divorce
  • Agree on maintenance payments and child maintenance
  • Divide your assets.

Child custody and childcare arrangements during divorce

If you’re a parent, we’ll help you protect and promote the interests of your children at every stage of the divorce. You can rely on us to guide you, whether you’re starting the divorce process or responding to divorce papers. We can help you agree:

  • Child custody – which is who the child lives with
  • Child maintenance
  • Childcare and arrangements after the divorce.

Fixed Fee divorce solicitors

We offer fixed fee divorce services, to help you manage the cost of your divorce. A fixed fee divorce at Tees costs £750+ VAT plus the Court fee.

We also offer alternatives to the traditional divorce process, which can be cheaper. Our experts are trained in: divorce mediation, arbitration and collaborative law.  

We’re here to help

If you want a lawyer to take a closer look at your situation, for a fixed fee of £150 + VAT, we can talk with you for up to 90 minutes and set out some options.

Call our Family and Divorce law solicitors on 0808 231 1320

Divorce law FAQs

What is a parenting plan?

A parenting plan is an agreement between divorced parents about how to raise their children after the divorce. Both parents need to agree to the plan. A parenting plan can be changed at any time, for example as the children grown up, provided both parents agree.

Who has parental responsibility during a divorce or separation?

If you’re married, you will both have parental responsibility if you get divorced. If you’re unmarried the mother automatically has parental responsibility from the child’s birth. Unmarried fathers only get parental responsibility if their name is on the child’s birth certificate, have a Court Order granting it or a legally binding agreement with the mother.

Who has to make child maintenance payments?

Regardless of who has parental responsibility, the non-residential parent is required to contribute financially to their children’s maintenance. If the ‘paying’ parent is not paying child maintenance, a solicitor can help you take action to enforce the payments. This may be through a deduction of earnings request, where child maintenance payments are automatically taken from the paying parents’ wages or pension.

When can I get divorced?

To get divorced, you must prove that your marriage has broken down. Legally this is referred to as the ‘irretrievable breakdown of marriage’. There are five ways to prove this, known as the give ‘grounds’ for divorce. They are:

• Unreasonable behaviour

• Adultery

• Two years’ separation with consent

• Five years’ separation without consent

• Two years’ desertion.

• You must be married for at least one year to get divorced.

How long does it take to get a divorce?

A straightforward divorce usually takes between 9 and 12 months to complete. Your divorce may take longer, or be faster, depending on your situation. For example, if you cannot agree key issues with your partner, your divorce could take longer.

Make an enquiry today

We understand your situation and our expert team are here to help

Get in touch to speak with someone who can help you move forward.

A father and daughter walking their Labrador in a green field

Tees coronavirus update

We’re open and here to help you. We’re running as normal with our employees all working from home.

Find out more Show less

You can call us as normal on 0800 013 1165 or email us: hello@teeslaw.com.

You can also find contact details for all our advisers here. 

As a flexible and technologically-adept firm, we already had many home-working systems in place. We have now rolled this technology out to all our employees working for clients, so they can continue to work normally - and from home.

If you are a client, please be assured you can get in touch with Tees and we are still working on your case. To replace face-to-face meetings, we have the facilities to do video-conferencing, conference calls or just speak on the phone, as you need.

Due to the circumstances, please call us if you would have wanted a home visit, and we can organise the best and safest way of being in touch.

Designed and built by Onespacemedia