A couple mourning on the sofa

Wills and probate

Whatever you need to know about wills and probate we can help. Coping with someone’s death is stressful. We’re here to support you with sorting out the estate and getting probate.

Get in touch or call us on 0800 0131165

When someone dies

Death is never easy to cope with and sorting out the estate can be very stressful. We’re here to make it quicker and easier for you and there's no upfront fee. This is because our bill (known as the probate fee) is part of the costs that the estate must settle before the remaining assets are distributed.

Our specialist services include:

  • Probate services – includes sorting out issues associated with money, property, tax, obtaining the Grant of Probate and distributing the deceased person’s money and possessions after paying any taxes and debts.
  • Deeds of variation – to enable someone to give money that they have inherited in someone's will, to another person. 
  • International estate planning – managing any fixed assets you have abroad, such as a house. Our team of international probate solicitors help with: global wills, resealing foreign grants of representation, UK grants of representation of a foreign will and succession planning when you have assets abroad.

Call our specialist solicitors on 0808 231 1320Call us for a free initial chat, at no obligation, or fill out our enquiry form and a solicitor will get in touch

Frequently asked questions

What is a grant of representation?

This is a generic term covering official documentation that proves that you have the right to manage the estate of the deceased.  If there is a named executor, they usually submit an application for grant of probate.  If there is a valid Will but the named executors are unable or unwilling to act, then letters of administration with Will annexed will need to be obtained. If there was no will, then letters of administration will need to be obtained. Letters of administration with Will annexed and letters of administration serve similar function to that of the grant of probate. Grant of representation is the phrase that covers all three phrases. 

The document itself, and sometimes the process of getting it from the Court and using it to administer the estate, can often be referred to as probate.

Learn more
What is probate?

When someone dies, probate is the process of managing and passing on their property, money and other assets to others, once any debts, taxes and other costs have been paid. If the deceased person made a will, they will have named someone to carry out these tasks. That person is known as the Will's executor.

Learn more
Can I make a claim against an estate?

People who may be able to claim against an estate under the Inheritance Act 1975 include:

  • wife, husband or civil partner of the deceased
  • former wife, husband or civil partner of the deceased
  • unmarried cohabiting partner of the deceased 
  • biological children or grandchildren of the deceased
  • anyone who was financially dependent on the deceased.

Learn more

We understand your situation and our expert team are here to help

Get in touch to speak with someone who can help you move forward.

A father and daughter walking their Labrador in a green field

Tees coronavirus update

We’re open and here to help you. We’re running as normal with our employees all working from home.

Find out more Show less

You can call us as normal on 0800 013 1165 or email us: hello@teeslaw.com.

You can also find contact details for all our advisers here. 

As a flexible and technologically-adept firm, we already had many home-working systems in place. We have now rolled this technology out to all our employees working for clients, so they can continue to work normally - and from home.

If you are a client, please be assured you can get in touch with Tees and we are still working on your case. To replace face-to-face meetings, we have the facilities to do video-conferencing, conference calls or just speak on the phone, as you need.

Due to the circumstances, please call us if you would have wanted a home visit, and we can organise the best and safest way of being in touch.

Designed and built by Onespacemedia