Legal services for unmarried couples

Our family law solicitors provide a range of legal services for unmarried couples living together - including cohabitation agreements, parental rights and legal rights if the relationship ends.

Elizabeth Gale, Bishop's Stortford

Legal rights of unmarried couples living together 

If you are unmarried and living together, you’re a cohabiting couple. Cohabiting couples don’t have the same rights as married couples, and this lack of legal rights can become an issue if you split up, have children or buy a house together.

Our guide on the rights of unmarried couples living together covers more detail about the rights of unmarried parents.

A cohabitation agreement can help protect you and any children you have. 

What is a cohabitation agreement?

A cohabitation agreement is a legal document that describes what would happen if you ever separated. The agreement makes sorting these issues out much more straightforward. It can cover practical issues such as:

  • Finances and financial support
  • Ownership of the family home
  • Childcare arrangements
  • Changes to your tenancy
  • Division of assets such as furniture.

If you want to get a cohabitation agreement, talk to one of our friendly family law solicitors.

Financial provision for children of unmarried couples 

If you’re unmarried and have children together, a solicitor can help you sort out child custody and maintenance if you separate. Child maintenance is still payable if you were unmarried.

We can help you:

  • Agree child maintenance payments
  • Enforce child maintenance payments
  • Get parental responsibility (for example, if you’re an unmarried father)
  • Agree which parent the children should live with. 

Property claims (TOLATA) for unmarried couples

For unmarried couples who own property or land together, separating involves separating your assets as well. A family law solicitor can advise you on your rights and help you divide your assets fairly.

The Courts have the power to resolve property/land ownership disputes through the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 (TOLATA). A family law solicitor can help you make a property claim, or represent you if your partner makes a claim against you. You can settle claims outside of Court. 

What to do next

If you need legal advice about your rights as an unmarried cohabiting couple, or a related issue, call us. A dedicated family law solicitor will outline your options and tell you how we can help.

Come in and see us for a FREE 30 minute face-to-face consultation about your options. Alternatively, if you want us to take a closer look at your situation, for a fixed fee of £150 + VAT, we can talk with you for up to 90 minutes.

Call our Family and Divorce Law solicitors on 0800 013 1165

For a free initial chat, at no obligation, or fill out our enquiry form and a solicitor will get in touch.

Enquiry form

We understand your situation and our expert team are here to help

Get in touch to speak with someone who can help you move forward.

Contact us
A father and daughter walking their Labrador in a green field

Tees coronavirus update

We’re here to help you. We’re running as normal with our employees all working from home.

Find out more Show less

Our top priority is to continue serving our clients and protecting our employees and clients alike.

We are open and working to help clients.

As a flexible and technologically-adept firm, we already had many home-working systems in place. We have now rolled this technology out to all our employees working for clients, so they can continue to work normally - and from home.

If you are a client, please be assured you can get in touch with Tees and we are still working on your case. To replace face-to-face meetings, we have the facilities to do video-conferencing, conference calls or just speak on the phone, as you need.

You can call us as normal on 0800 013 1165 or email us: You can also find contact details for all our advisers here. 

Designed and built by Onespacemedia