Court of protection and deputyships

If you're concerned about the welfare of a family member or loved one, we can help you take legal steps to protect them.

Frances Gill, Bishop's Stortford
Frances Gil, later life planning specialist in Bishops Stortford

Court of Protection and deputyships solicitors

What is the court of protection?

If you need to make legal decisions for a relative, or somebody close to you, the court of protection can empower you to do so as their deputy. The court of protection judges whether people have the mental capacity to make decisions about their own welfare. If it decides they don’t, and no enduring or lasting power of attorney is in place, it can appoint a deputy to make decisions on a person’s behalf. Deputies can be appointed in a wide range of situations, including:

  • if an elderly relative or parent needs help managing their finances
  • if a vulnerable person needs help managing their affairs
  • if decisions need to be made about a person's health and welfare.

How do I become a deputy?

To become someone's deputy, you need to make an application to the court of protection. The court will look at the evidence when deciding what a deputy can or can’t do. Your application must put forward a clear and detailed case. This can be a long and complicated process, especially when you're not familiar with the system. 

Court of protection services

Our specialist team of solicitors know the court of protection inside out. Our solicitors have plenty of experience of a deputy’s work – many have themselves been appointed professional deputies, acting for vulnerable people and managing the finances of people in care. So we really do know how the system works and we understand what it means to be responsible for people who can’t make their own decisions. The court of protection will make its decision based solely on the application, but you can be confident that we’ll have every angle covered. Our specialist services include:          

  • organising the information needed
  • ensuring there are no errors which could have far-reaching consequences
  • checking your submission complies with all the court's regulations
  • submitting the application to the court.

What does an application look like?

A typical application has several parts, such as:

  • the application form itself, setting out details about the person involved, the proposed deputy (normally a spouse, civil partner or close relative)
  • an information form that gives all the relevant information about the person's finances, income or personal injury damages, plus outgoings or care fees
  • a medical form completed by the GP or consultant
  • a declaration signed by the proposed deputy
  • ongoing advice about your role as a deputy and further help with any subsequent paperwork and applications

We’re here to help

Call us for a free, confidential, no obligation chat, or fill out our enquiry form and we will let you know how we can help. We can also visit you at your home if you wish.

Our specialist lawyers are based in the following areas:

But we can help you wherever you are in England and Wales.

Call our Court of Protection solicitors on 0808 231 1320

Make an enquiry today

Please opt into our newsletter

From time to time, Tees would like to email you articles and updates about the range of legal and financial professional services we provide.

Would you like to sign up to receive these? You can opt out any time.

View our legal services privacy notice and our financial services privacy notice 

Designed and built by Onespacemedia