Probate and estate administration

Tees can help you administer the estate of someone who has died. With our experience we can take the burden off you. We can do as much, or as little, of the work as you wish and our experts are on hand to sort out any legal complexities.

Angela Sewell, Cambridge
Angela Sewell, later life planning specialist in Cambridge

Estate administration solicitors: Expert legal advice

What is estate administration?

Estate administration is the process of handling all the finances, assets and debts of somebody after they have died. This can be a difficult experience for a family following the death of a loved one - you’ve got enough on your hands without coping with the stress of extra work and admin.

At Tees we understand estate administration inside out, so we can sort it out which takes the pressure off you. You can ask us to do as much - or as little - as you need. Using our extensive experience, we can sort out every detail as quickly and tidily as possible, which saves you having to face it alone.

Our estate administration services:

Make an enquiry today

Please opt into our newsletter

From time to time, Tees would like to email you articles and updates about the range of legal and financial professional services we provide.

Would you like to sign up to receive these? You can opt out any time.

View our legal services privacy notice and our financial services privacy notice 

What to do if there's no Will

If there’s no will (otherwise known as intestacy) we’ll find out who’s entitled to manage the estate and who might benefit from it. Sometimes this involves complex trust rules that govern who gets what.

What to do if you need a Grant of Probate

You might need a grant of probate. This is the process that confirms the executors' authority to deal with the estate and get things like bank accounts sorted out. Getting a grant of probate can be time consuming and stressful, but we can prepare all the papers and apply to the court on your behalf.

Home visits 

If things are difficult and you can't come to one of our offices, we're happy to come to your house.

Call us for an initial chat, at no obligation, or fill out our enquiry form and a solicitor will get in touch.

Our specialist lawyers are based in:

  • Cambridgeshire: Cambridge
  • Essex: Brentwood, Chelmsford, and Saffron Walden
  • Hertfordshire: Bishop's Stortford and Royston 

But we can help you wherever you are in England and Wales. 

Call our specialist solicitors on 0808 231 1320Enquiry form

Probate FAQs

What is probate?

When someone dies, probate is the process of managing and passing on their property, money and other assets to others, once any debts, taxes and other costs have been paid. If the deceased person made a will, they will have named someone to carry out these tasks. That person is known as the Will's executor.

Learn more
What is a probate caveat on a will?

A probate caveat is a means to stop a probate application, for example if there is a dispute about the will or the persons applying for probate.  In order to enter a caveat, it is necessary to make an application to the Probate Registry.

Learn more
What is the keyworker death in service payment?

It’s a new guarantee on death in service benefit, which the Government has recently announced, for frontline health and care staff, during the Coronavirus pandemic.  Families of eligible health and care workers on the frontline in England, who die from coronavirus in the course of their frontline essential work, will receive a £60k payment.  

Visit the Government website
Do I need to a Grant of Probate to get the keyworker death in service payment?

It will be necessary for the person claiming this benefit to provide either a Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration.  These are legal documents which are obtained as part of managing a deceased person’s estate.  This is because one or other of these documents would determine to whom the lump sum should be paid. You can ask a solicitor to help you to obtain these documents.

Learn more
Designed and built by Onespacemedia