Sickness, ill health and time off work

If you feel unfairly treated at work because you’ve taken time off due to sickness, ill health or another issue, you might have a claim against your employer.

Sarah Stanyer, Brentwood
Sarah Stayner, dispute resolution and litigation specialist in Brentwood

Taking time off work due to sickness or ill health

Most people will need time off work for one reason or another during their careers. If you think your employer has handled the situation poorly, or infringed your rights, our expert employment law solicitors can help you. 

What are my rights if I need time off work? 

As an employee, you’re entitled to time off work if you need it. Your employer should have a clear policy in place to manage your absences and treat you fairly if you need to take time off. At Tees, we regularly advise clients who have taken time off work due to:

  • ill health
  • long term sickness
  • disability
  • caring responsibilities
  • family or personal issues.

If you feel unfairly treated by your employer, you have options. We understand that the situation has probably left you feeling distressed and emotionally drained at a time when you are already struggling with the issues that have caused you to need time off in the first place. Our solicitors are experts in employment law and we regularly deal with complex discrimination cases and claims. We’ve worked on both sides of the fence, so we’ve heard all the arguments your employer is likely to make. This puts us in the perfect position to anticipate what will happen next and to guide you accordingly. 

Our services

  • we can tell you if you have a claim for discrimination against your employer
  • listen to what you want to achieve and explore your options for the way to move forward
  • negotiate with your employer on your behalf
  • organise mediation to find a solution where it's possible in a way that reduces the conflict
  • represent you in court should you choose to resort to litigation.

We’re here to help

Call us for a confidential, no obligation chat, or fill out our enquiry form and we will let you know how we can help. 

Our specialist lawyers are based in:

  • Cambridgeshire: Cambridge
  • Essex: Brentwood, Chelmsford, and Saffron Walden
  • Hertfordshire: Bishop's Stortford and Royston 

But we can help you wherever you are in England and Wales.

Call us for a consultation with our Employment Law solicitors on 0800 0131165

or fill out our enquiry form and a solicitor will get in touch.

Enquiry form

Make an enquiry

Tees coronavirus update

We’re open and here to help you. We’re running as normal with our employees all working from home.

Find out more Show less

You can call us as normal on 0800 013 1165 or email us:

You can also find contact details for all our advisers here. 

As a flexible and technologically-adept firm, we already had many home-working systems in place. We have now rolled this technology out to all our employees working for clients, so they can continue to work normally - and from home.

If you are a client, please be assured you can get in touch with Tees and we are still working on your case. To replace face-to-face meetings, we have the facilities to do video-conferencing, conference calls or just speak on the phone, as you need.

Due to the circumstances, please call us if you would have wanted a home visit, and we can organise the best and safest way of being in touch.

Designed and built by Onespacemedia