Ending a civil partnership

If you need to end a civil partnership, our family law solicitors can help you through the Court process, reach a financial settlement and work out financial maintenance.

Victoria Teymourian-Yates, Chelmsford

How do I end my civil partnership?

The legal process of ending a civil partnership is called ‘dissolution’. If you want to dissolve your civil partnership, the first steps are to: 

  • Apply to the Court – the first step is filling out a dissolution petition
  • Give the Court a reason why you want to end the partnership
  • Talk to your partner about practical issues, such as dividing your finances. 

Our team of expert family law solicitors can help you dissolve your civil partnership, and reach a financial settlement with your former partner.

What should I do if I have received dissolution papers from my partner?

We can help if you are the petitioner (if you started the process of dissolving the partnership) or the respondent (if you have received dissolution papers).

How much does it cost to end a civil partnership?

There are various Court fees payable if you want to end your civil partnership. The Court fees are payable whether you use a solicitor or handle the dissolution yourself. Examples of Court fees include: 

  • Court fee to file your dissolution petition (to start the process of ending your civil partnership) - £550
  • Court fee to apply for a consent order (to make the financial agreements you reach outside of Court legally binding) - £100
  • Court fee to apply for a financial order (payable if you cannot reach a financial agreement with your former partner) - £255

Depending on your individual circumstances, you may have to pay additional Court fees.

Legal fees cover the cost of things like the solicitor or mediator’s time advising you, preparing documents and representing you at Court (if required). 

Reasons to end a civil partnership 

Legally, the only basis for dissolution is the ‘irretrievable breakdown of the partnership’, which can be established in one of four different ways:

  • Unreasonable behaviour
  • Two years’ separation by consent
  • Five years’ separation
  • Two years’ desertion

One of our expert family law solicitors can advise you on every aspect of ending your civil partnership – from filling out your dissolution petition and completing paperwork, to reaching a settlement.

Help from a solicitor to dissolve a civil partnership

If you need to end a civil partnership, it is best to take legal advice at an early stage. Whether the situation with your former partner is amicable or more difficult, a solicitor will help you find a way forward and protect your interests at every step.

What to do next 

If you need advice about dissolving your civil partnership, call our solicitors.  A dedicated family law solicitor will outline your options and tell you how we can help.

Come in and see us for a FREE 30 minute face-to-face consultation about your options. Alternatively, if you want us to take a closer look at your situation, for a fixed fee of £150 + VAT, we can talk with you for up to 90 minutes.

Call our Family and Divorce Law solicitors on 0800 0131165

For a free initial chat, at no obligation, or fill out our enquiry form and a solicitor will get in touch.

Enquiry form

We understand your situation and our expert team are here to help

Get in touch to speak with someone who can help you move forward.

Contact us
A father and daughter walking their Labrador in a green field

Tees coronavirus update

We’re here to help you. We’re running as normal with our employees all working from home.

Find out more Show less

Our top priority is to continue serving our clients and protecting our employees and clients alike.

We are open and working to help clients.

As a flexible and technologically-adept firm, we already had many home-working systems in place. We have now rolled this technology out to all our employees working for clients, so they can continue to work normally - and from home.

If you are a client, please be assured you can get in touch with Tees and we are still working on your case. To replace face-to-face meetings, we have the facilities to do video-conferencing, conference calls or just speak on the phone, as you need.

You can call us as normal on 0800 013 1165 or email us: hello@teeslaw.com. You can also find contact details for all our advisers here. 

Designed and built by Onespacemedia