Making sense of compensation for fatal accidents

Losing a loved one is hard but can be even harder if caused by an accident. Amid the grief and confusion, other issues can surface, such as financial worries. While it might feel awkward to seek early advice on compensation claims.

The role of post-mortems

An unexpected death may trigger a post-mortem. This is a medical examination to determine the cause of the death. Families can appoint a medical professional to attend. If they are dissatisfied with the findings, they can ask the coroner to arrange an independent examination.

After the post-mortem, the coroner usually issues an interim death certificate, which allows the family to deal with financial matters and to bury or cremate the deceased. A final death certificate will be issued only after the inquest has delivered a verdict.

The role of inquests

All suspicious or unexpected deaths are reported to the local coroner. In the case of an accident an inquest will usually be called. This is not to establish fault but to determine who has died, where, when and how.

The coroner will invite relevant parties to give evidence. For a family this is an opportunity to understand what happened and to ask questions. Legal representation can be useful, whether you intend to claim compensation or not - but good advice will help you decide if it is appropriate.

After hearing the evidence, the coroner gives a verdict. The possible verdicts include death by natural causes, accidental death, suicide, unlawful or lawful killing, industrial disease, or an open verdict where the evidence is insufficient or inconclusive.

The rules on who can claim

The law of compensation following a fatal accident is complicated and includes rules on who can claim and what they can claim.

First it has to be established that the accident was caused by some other party’s negligence.

The estate of the deceased person can then claim for funeral expenses, pain and suffering if death was not immediate, and more. Everybody who dies leaves an estate even if they had no assets or will. Any compensation is distributed to the beneficiaries of the will or those identified by the intestacy rules.

Certain family members, such as a spouse or civil partner, or parents of a child who was under 18 and unmarried, can claim bereavement damages, which are presently fixed at £12,980.

Other people, such as spouses, former civil partners, grandparents, siblings and others can also claim if they can prove they were dependent on the deceased or could reasonably have expected to benefit in future. Their claims might include loss of income or free services such as child care and domestic help.

All claims have strict time limits, so as always it’s best to seek advice without delay.

At Tees we have an experienced team of experts who specialise in fatal accidents and are able to advise on wills, probate, and financial worries; to support families through the inquest process and fatal accident compensation claims. 

Call us on 0800 013 1165 for a free initial chat, at no obligation, or fill out our enquiry form and a solicitor will get in touch.

Tees coronavirus update

We’re open and here to help you. We’re running as normal with our employees all working from home.

Find out more Show less

You can call us as normal on 0800 013 1165 or email us:

You can also find contact details for all our advisers here. 

As a flexible and technologically-adept firm, we already had many home-working systems in place. We have now rolled this technology out to all our employees working for clients, so they can continue to work normally - and from home.

If you are a client, please be assured you can get in touch with Tees and we are still working on your case. To replace face-to-face meetings, we have the facilities to do video-conferencing, conference calls or just speak on the phone, as you need.

Designed and built by Onespacemedia