Having expert legal advice on hand to guide you with safeguarding matters helps your school to maintain the highest standards and gives school leaders peace of mind. When safeguarding matters arise, they often require difficult judgements to be made and events can move quickly.
The legal requirements regarding safeguarding in schools are comprehensive and having an education lawyer available to help guide you through, is a vital asset in helping you discharge your duty of care to pupils.
Our education law specialists help schools with:
- rapid response on urgent safeguarding issues – supporting school leaders throughout the process
- managing allegations against staff
- handling disclosures of abuse from pupils
- drafting communications for parents and the press
- referring information to the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), which is a legal duty
- reporting obligations - Serious Incident Reporting
- managing the reporting to multiple agencies concerned
- issues surrounding disclosure of safeguarding files to parents
- drafting safeguarding policies
- training staff in the law pertaining to safeguarding in schools
- drafting documents ready for inspections
- advice on the law and serious and complex social issues such as child sexual exploitation
- advice on managing online safety and cyber bullying
- support for data subject access requests.
What is safeguarding in schools?
The definition includes:
- protecting children from maltreatment
- ensuring children grow up in a safe environment with effective care
- taking appropriate action to enable children to have the best outcomes
- child protection - which focuses on protecting children who are suffering from, or are at danger of suffering from significant harm.
We’re here to help
You’ll find our team of education lawyers friendly and easy to talk to and we understand the ins-and-outs of education law.
Our education law team is based in:
Essex: Brentwood, Chelmsford, and Saffron Walden
Hertfordshire: Bishop's Stortford and Royston
But we can help you wherever you are in England and Wales.
Call our specialist education solicitors on 0808 231 1320